Saturday, March 12, 2011

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle Mantra

I just finished this book - a gift from daughter #2 at Christmas. It's a good read, but it's more than that. The story of one family's year of eating locally and growing much of their own food is powerful. The information that's also included on just what's happening to our farms, foods, agriculture and health is even more compelling - and alarming.

I have always been a bit of a food snob, and I'm certainly aware that what I eat has a direct affect on my health. I made my own baby food and bread decades before it was trendy. I cook from scratch - no mixes for me, and I don't buy processed foods. I was a vegetarian for more than 10 years, and even now I don't eat much meat except for poultry. I garden organically. And I refuse to eat food additives, colors and flavor enhancers.

What I learned from this book is how much more is going on behind the scenes than I ever imagined. I had a good idea that agribusiness was king and putting pressure on sustainable farms and organic operations, but I learned a lot more about the "new" way of farming and the tie in to chemical companies ... and it's not pretty.

No comments: