Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pondering Reupholstery

Let me begin with this: I have been sewing, crafting and wielding tools since I was a kid. I've made slipcovers for sofas, chairs and love seats. I've designed and built decks, furniture, toys and additions to my home(s). I've renovated antique houses - right down to a complete bathroom gutting and remake. And I have done some upholstery. I've just never tackled a sofa.

Well, it's coming down to do or die with our old sofa and chair. They're family heirlooms, passed to us from my mother-in-law, who purchased them new in 1931. They need new covers, springs, padding - the works. I've only done the new padding and covers parts in my past adventures. Undaunted, though, hubs wants to tackle this, so here's a time lapse video of what to expect if we tackle this.

I have no idea where we'll be able to do the work other than in the living room, but I know it MUST be done in less than a week once we begin. We absolutely cannot live with a giant craft project taking up most of the space inside our existing giant craft project - our home is a WIP!

Thanks to Freshly Picked for sharing this video of what it takes to reupholster an old sofa.

No comments: