Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Are You Rushing Through Life?

How often in your daily life do you need to catch your breath - to slow down, take time to consider the beauty around you or just take in your surroundings?

In my mid-forties I was completely enveloped and controlled by the events in my life, so much so that I felt as though I had no life ... and I made a drastic but wonderful career change that I have never regretted. I left my high tech job, went back to school and finished a long-delayed degree program, and learned to use my computer to create art and market my work. I make new friends online through the communities I've joined on Facebook and Squidoo.

I no longer commute for an hour each way through horrendous traffic at 80mph to work at a job in another state. My chest isn't tight; my heart beat is slower; I don't get migraine headaches; I have time to knit, sew; try my hand at new crafts and cook - really cook - again.

Fifteen years later, I don't rush to the airport several times a week to catch a yet another flight to a far-away state or foreign country. I don't need to agonize over uncomfortable ethical decisions that conflict with personal values. I am free of office politics, the pursuit of a bigger paycheck and the never-ending career treadmill that seemed like a grindstone for the grim reaper.

I work for myself; I do what I love; I take time to take time, every single day. And I earn more money than I ever did before when I worked for someone else ... but that's really secondary to having my life back.

Are You Rushing Through Life?

No comments: