Monday, March 15, 2010

Are You an Organ Donor?

I had an unexpected detour on my recent long-distance grandma trip to New England. My plan was to visit DD#2 and her family in Vermont for a few days, then travel down to southern New Hampshire for a few days with DD#1 and the two older grandkids. Well ... as day 2 was winding down, I started to feel not so well.  In fact, I wondered if I might be having a heart attack. Two days of rest and a raging fever along with pain worse than childbirth convinced me it was not just something I ate.

Okay, so I got to the ER at the crack of dawn on Tuesday and the docs examined and tested and determined my gallbladder had to come out. I was feeling a bit better by that time, thanks to the pain meds and kind staff when it was time to answer the "standard" patient admission form questions. Some made me laugh, others were more sobering. The one that made me think twice was, "Are you an organ donor? "

It struck me a bit hilarious ... but also slightly ominous. I was, after all, about to have the first "real" surgery of my life, and yes, I am a registered donor - it's on my license. I felt compelled to make it very clear when answering this question (3 different times) that  I am an organ donor but I'm ONLY planning to give away my gallbladder at this time.

No comments: