Friday, April 24, 2009

Due Diligence

This week I had another hands-on lesson in freedom and justice for all. I've been a registered voter for more than 35 years, but never served on a jury. I got the big whammy for 4 days this week, serving on a Federal jury. It was an interesting and exhausting and awesome experience. If you've never been a jury member, prepare yourself for the feeling of incredible responsibility it lays on you. And even a sleepless night or two if it's a tough case.

I don't regret serving, although it raised havoc with my personal life and my self-employment. It cost me more than I will be compensated in money and time, but I feel like I understand more about the judicial system than ever before and appreciate the protection of a person's right to be judged by peers and considered innocent unless proven otherwise.

It was ironic that my jury service was in the birthplace of freedom: in Philadelphia, right across the street from the Constitution, and only a block or so from Independence Hall.

If you're summoned to serve, go - it will change your life.

No comments: