Monday, September 10, 2007

September in Vermont

Vermont is a beautiful state year round, but there's just something extra special about late summer and early autumn in the Green Mountains. We just returned from a week up north visiting with DD#2 and her DH, and I can't wait to return.

Norman Rockwell, Girl with Black Eye We visited the usual tourist sites, plus took a side jaunt between Manchester and the southern border, happening upon Arlington and the Norman Rockwell museum and gallery. I couldn't resist buying a copy of this print, because it reminds me of myself in the second grade. On the day before school portraits were scheduled, I got into a tussle with my oldest brother Chris. The resulting photo documented the shiner he laid on me with his foot in our battle the night before. I was wearing braids and a plaid skirt to complement ...

Arlington, Vermont was home to the famed artist and his family for many years; Rockwell used the small town's residents as models in many of his paintings. Do visit the gallery and museum (it's in an old church on historic VT route 7A) to see the collection if you're in the area or make a day trip from the Berkshires in western Massachusetts to God's country.

No comments: